11 April 2009

Lowering Metabolism with Age



I was super active until 2 years ago when work demands kept me away from the gym and laziness also got the better of me.

Over time, several things prompted me to think that maybe my metabolic rate was slowing down. I was eating less food and feeling full faster. Regular snacking or suppers was starting to show up rather quickly. I didn't feel as energetic as previously but kept thinking I'd swing back into high gear once I hit the gym again. The gym was always next week or the next week.

A friend of mine who's doing some research & a study on Asian on metabolic rates for a health conference started chatting about his work and this is what I found out to my dismay!

- 60% of one's resting metabolic rate is determined by one's organs, not muscles
- when the trainers tell people to pack on more muscles so that the metabolic rate will go up and they can burn more and lose weight, it's all hogwash
- you can't exactly increase your basal metabolic rate
- it declines with age
- regular exercise maintains it

A lower metabolic rate means its easier to put on weight and you can become lethargic.

The weight part I understand but the lethargic part got me worried. There are still quite a few things I want to do like the Great Wall Of China and camper-vanning through New Zealand and they require an energetic and active state of being.

Argh! Now I'm on a mission to keep active regularly so I don't become used taking things easy, becoming lethargic and eventually a couch potatoe.

He did say that there is some new research to suggest that if it's vigorous exercise, it may be able to increase the metabolic rate.

So I'm putting my bets on vigorous exercise.

Ok. Maybe not that vigorous. But at least getting more exercise regularly.

This blog is inspired from this drive to keep myself healthy thus the name haleness.

No comments: